Welcome to Mason County!
We are thrilled that you are considering calling Mason County home. This small community is a very special place because of people like you. As in many small towns, the people are what make it unique. Mason County and the Ludington Area are everything you have come to expect in a “small town experience” and so much more.
Top 10 Reasons to Live Here
Mason County offers miles of extraordinary Lake Michigan beaches, a deep water port, historic car ferry, and a friendly small-town lifestyle. Other important features include a quality regional healthcare system, high-performing education institutions, Ludington State Park, top ranked marinas and charter fishing, and a welcoming environment.
1) SCENIC HARBOR COMMUNITY You can enjoy beautiful views of the harbor and shoreline from out on the water or from many public parks and pathways. The Waterfront is a popular gathering place for picnics, watching spectacular sunsets, fishing, and other leisure activities. Those who live along the waterfront enjoy amenities within easy walking distance, which include a post office, library, banks, grocery store, retail shops, and more.
2) VIBRANT BUSINESS AND INDUSTRIAL SECTORS Mason County has strong agricultural and tourism industries, in addition to a globally competitive manufacturing sector with an emerging emphasis on green technology. Local manufacturers include: FloraCraft Corporation, Occidental Chemical Company, Haworth, Metalworks, Harsco Rail, Great Lakes Castings Corporation, Indian Summer Co-op, House of Flavors Ice Cream and Whitehall Industries.
3) SAFE, FAMILY-FRIENDLY SMALL TOWNS Mason County provides the perfect setting for raising families in our affordable, safe and family-friendly communities. The port city of Ludington claims a first-rate public beach, an array of public parks, and a downtown district with unique shops and restaurants. Situated along the scenic Pere Marquette River, Scottville is a small community in the heart of Mason County whose history is steeped in agriculture.
4) QUALITY REGIONAL HEALTHCARE SYSTEM Mason County is home to Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital, which provides an array of healthcare services to the region. The hospital underwent a major expansion project in 2013. There are many choices related to health professionals and fitness facilities and classes. More resources for healthy living are provided by Win With Wellness, a community initiative, sponsored by SHLH.
5) HIGH STANDARDS IN EDUCATION The school districts within Mason County continually outperform statistical expectations when compared with other schools in the State of Michigan. Mason County is also home to West Shore Community College. The college serves the community through instructional programs, workforce training, and cultural, performing and visual arts programs and performances.
6) THE MASON COUNTY EXPERIENCE Mason County has a variety of unique attractions including: Ludington Area Center for the Arts, Historic White Pine Village, Lake Winds Energy Park, S.S. Badger Carferry, Sandcastles Children’s Museum, Waterfront Sculpture Park and Playground, and several area lighthouses. Not only does Mason County have many attractions, but the residents also take pride in hosting a wide range of festivals and celebrations. Some of the highlights of the seasons are the NYE Ball Drop, Lakestride Half Marathon & 5K, Gus Macker 3-on-3 Charity Basketball Tournament, Freedom Festival, Ludington Offshore Classic, Friday Night Live, Western Michigan Fair, Art Fairs, Movies in the Park, Suds on the Shore, and Scottville’s 10 & 31 Celebration.
7) POPULAR OUTDOOR DESTINATIONS Mason County has over 28 miles of sandy shoreline. Whether you want to spend time at the beach or enjoying the inland hidden treasures, there is an abundance of outdoor activities throughout the county at Ludington State Park, Lake Michigan beaches, Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area, Hamlin Lake, Pere Marquette River, Manistee National Forest, area golf courses, and Lake Michigan.
8) MANY OPPORTUNITIES TO GET CONNECTED Giving back to the community is a long-standing Mason County tradition that has made our cities and outlying communities a place of opportunity, hope and help for people of all backgrounds. A smaller community provides a simpler means of getting connected with others who share your interests.
9) CHANGING SEASONS ALONG THE WEST MICHIGAN SHORELINE The variety in seasons offers a multitude of opportunities to observe and appreciate the great outdoors. Outdoor enthusiasts can explore many different activities ranging from skiing, snowshoeing and ice fishing to kayaking, swimming, and biking.
10) A MORE SUSTAINABLE FUTURE THROUGH COMMUNITY INVESTMENT Mason County is in the midst of continued development and growth, which is revitalizing downtowns and enhancing commerce. Businesses are investing and expanding through many different projects including: the expansion of the hospital, FloraCraft, House of Flavors and Blu Moon Bistro. Consumers Energy is also expanding its investment in the county through the development of the Lake Winds Energy Park and the upgrade of the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant. Cultural and recreational enhancements include: expansion of the public library, the establishment of the Maritime Museum, a new handicap-accessible trail at the Ludington State Park, the West End Development Project, the Mason County Sports Hall of Fame, the Lumber Heritage and Barn Quilt Trails, and several new sculptures.